Welling fighter Sharp hoping to land Herring world title fight

Archie Sharp has his fingers crossed that Jamel Herring keeps to his word and grants him a voluntary defence of the WBO world super-featherweight title.

The 33-year-old American upset the odds by comfortably outpointing champion Masayuki Ito in Kissimmee at the end of last month.

Sharp tweeted Herring to congratulate him – and state his readiness for a tilt at his newly-won title.

“We have got a mutual friend and he said before he boxed Ito – with him being ranked 12th and me 10th – that if he won the WBO title he would look to give me the opportunity to fight for it,” revealed the WBO European champion.

“He said this to my pal and I think he also mentioned it on a podcast.

“He has won it now, so I messaged him and hopefully he will keep his word. We will just have to wait and see. I know he will be waiting on the WBO to see if he can have a voluntary fight.”

Sharp (15-0) says he will happily jump into world title combat after his next assignment, at the 02 Arena on July 13.

“One hundred per cent,” said the Welling man. “For that fight I know I am ready to go.

“Ito is a great fighter to beat and I think he underestimated Jamel Herring, who had more hunger – that is what won him the fight.

“I would like to get that fight on for sure and it is one that myself and my team are comfortable with. He is very humble and a very nice fella, which is why I didn’t want to disrespect the man, so as soon as he won I congratulated him.

“It would just be great to get in the ring and box such a fighter to prove to everyone that I am at that level.

“I won’t underestimate my opponent on July 13. We’ve still got a job to do at the O2. I am in camp now for that and as soon as it is done I will be back in training ready to go again.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *