Wally Downes believes that Michael Folivi can nail down a more regular first team spot after the Watford youngster returned to AFC Wimbledon on a season-long loan.
The Wembley-born striker, 21, spent the second half of last season at the Cherry Red Records Stadium, scoring twice in 10 appearances.
Dons boss Downes said Folivi – who scored in Tuesday’s 3-2 friendly loss to Bristol City – was unlucky not to play more in the club’s great escape at the tail-end of last season.
“Terrific,” said Downes when asked for his views on Folivi’s capture. “Last year he was unfortunate not to stay in the team when [James] Hanson came back. But needs must – and we needed a bit more experience at the time.
“He got a couple of crucial goals for us and right to the end he worked hard every day in training.
“He was a big part of what we did last year.
“He’s got another year or six months of experience with us.
“We’re expecting him to be nailing down a first-team spot this year.
“We’ve still got one or two positions that we might be able to fill [with transfers],” explained the Dons boss. “But when you see youngsters come on and do well like that [against Brentford and Bristol City], then we’d be happy to give them a chance.”
Former Palace defender Jerome Binnom-Williams, who has been on trial with the Dons, will not be part of their squad for games in Germany this weekend.
PICTURES BY PAUL EDWARDS