BY CALUM FRASER
Plans to build a Tube station at the Bricklayers Arms roundabout as part of the Bakerloo line extension have been rejected by Transport for London (TfL).
Southwark council has expressed its disappointment at TfL’s decision not to consider plans for a new station by the roundabout at the north end of the Old Kent Road – a site which would be just under a mile from the existing station at Elephant & Castle.
The new proposals for the Bakerloo line extension could see two new underground stations built in the Old Kent Road, one at New Cross Gate and another at Lewisham.
Councillor Johnson Situ, Southwark council’s cabinet member for growth, development and planning, said: “We are disappointed with TfL’s proposal not to include a third station at Bricklayers Arms, despite strong local support from residents, businesses and the council.
“A station at Bricklayers Arms would help maximise the economic benefits of the Bakerloo line extension, rebuilding the area around the community, focusing on pedestrians rather than vehicles and help tackle air pollution.
We will continue to make the case, alongside residents and businesses, for a station at Bricklayers Arms.”
TfL published its response on Wednesday to issues raised during last year’s consultation which had more than 4,800 responses.
A TfL spokesman said: “While a new station at the Bricklayers Arms was considered following comments from the consultation, it will not be progressed.
A number of factors led to this decision including its close proximity to the existing Elephant & Castle and Borough Tube stations and the location TfL is focusing on for the new proposed ‘station 1’ on the Old Kent Road.
The proposal for an additional station would also considerably increase the overall cost of the extension as well as make journey times longer.
“The proposed two stations in the Old Kent Road were carefully selected to maximize growth in jobs and homes to support plans for redevelopment in the area.
TfL will work with the London Borough of Southwark to develop public realm improvements in this area.”
Development work will now take place ahead of a further public consultation next year.
At least 25,000 new homes and 5,000 new jobs could be supported as a result of the extension, with extra capacity on London Underground for 65,000 journeys in the morning and evening peak.
The Mayor and TfL are also looking to deliver a second phase of the extension beyond Lewisham, and work is continuing to build a case which could potentially bring the Tube to Ladywell, Catford and Lower Sydenham Southwark and Lewisham councils have started a campaign to build support for the extension called Back the Bakerloo.
Cllr Situ said: “As TfL have outlined in this report, the delivery of the Bakerloo line extension is dependent on securing the necessary funding for its construction, so it is vital that we continue to build the campaign for the extension and make the case to the Treasury to ensure it is delivered.
“I would encourage all residents and businesses who will benefit from the extension to support the campaign and join the thousands of people already signing up to Back the Bakerloo at backthebakerloo.org.uk.”
Cllr Brenda Dacres, Lewisham council’s cabinet member for parks, neighbourhoods & transport, said: “The impact of the Bakerloo line extension cannot be underestimated – it will boost the economy in Lewisham and south east London, provide the opportunity to build desperately-needed new homes and improve transport links into central London.
“Almost 5,000 Londoners have given their views and this clearly reflects the importance with which they regard these plans.
“I would urge even more to engage and take part in the further consultation planned for next year.”