Parents voice their agony over evil murder of Glendon Spence

The parents of Brixton murder victim Glendon Spence have condemned the two perpetrators – who did not know him.

The 23-year-old was cut down in front of scores of children at the Marcus Lipton Youth Centre in Minet Road, Brixton, in February.

Rishon Florant 17, Peterborough Road, Waltham Forest, who was found guilty of murder on Tuesday, 3 September at the Old Bailey was sentenced today, Tuesday, 11 October at the same court to 18 years’ imprisonment.

Chibuzo Ukonu, 18, of High Road, Loughton who was found guilty of manslaughter alongside Florant was also sentenced today, to 14 year’s imprisonment.

Glendon’s parents said: “The killing of our fantastic and much loved son Glendon has shattered us as a family. There is no comfort anywhere and it is hard to accept what has happened.

“Our son was talented and he was unable to fulfil his aspirations to be a mechanic, not through any fault of his own but because of the evil act of these two men.

“Glendon did not know the perpetrators and he had no association with them whatsoever.

“Society will not tolerate what his killers did and we hope these sentences will allow them to recognise the evil they inflicted upon him by stabbing him to death for no reason.”

The court heard that police were called at approximately 6.45pm that night to reports of a stabbing inside community centre.

Officers and paramedics found 23-year-old Glendon, pictured above, from Lewisham, suffering from stab wounds. Despite efforts to save him, Glendon sadly died at the scene at 7.27pm.

Officers used CCTV footage to establish that both culprits arrived together inside a BMW which had only been bought a few days earlier.

Glendon immediately sought refuge in the centre, which he knew well and had attended for years.

Ukonu and Florant followed with large knives in open view. After Glendon was felled beside a table tennis table, the duo launched their attack which lasted a number of seconds. Children as young as 10 were inside the youth club at the time.

Ukonu and the Florant then returned to their car and sped off. The car was later found abandoned – an attempt had been made to torch it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *