No end to away day woes for Welling United as they lose at Billericay


Welling United’s away game woes continued with a 2-0 defeat at Billericay Town.

The Wings have claimed one point in their last seven National League South games and gone three games without a goal but still remain in the play-off zone.

Facing Billericay was never going to be an easy task. The Blues are a full-time club with a large squad who are all keen to impress returning manager Harry Wheeler.

Welling counterpart Steve King had insufficient numbers to fill the bench despite the signing of Mekhi McLeod. He was still missing Nassim L’Ghoul with a hamstring injury and Arnaud Mendy (ill).

There was not much to choose between the two teams in the first half. Welling had the first opportunity when Josh Hill met Brendan Kiernan’s corner with a downward header that hit team-mate Bradley Goldberg and went wide.

Danny Waldren headed wide of the far post for Billericay before Adam Coombes, another Welling old boy, tried his luck with a free-kick that Dan Wilks beat out. Yet another ex-Wings player, Ross Lafayette, followed up but Wilks saved his shot – it came out to Charlie Wassmer who blasted well over.

Brendan Kiernan was hacked down from behind by Moses Emmanuel as he led a Welling break.

Emmanuel was cautioned.

Wassmer made one of the tackles of the season just before half-time as Danny Mills set himself to shoot from 10 yards.

Kieran Cadogan broke the deadlock three minutes after the break. He collected Lafayette’s low cross and spun to fire into the bottom corner.

Goldberg shot just wide with a first-time shot before Billericay scored the all-important second.

Emmanuel crossed from the right and Coombes met it with a powerful close-range header that gave Wilks no chance.

The hosts went close again when Wassmer’s effort hit the bar with Wilks able to scramble Coombes’ follow-up away.

Kiernan fired well over before McLeod was introduced for his Welling debut.

Kiernan was again out of luck with a header from Julian Anau’s cross that brought a save out of Alan Julian, before he hit a free-kick of his own over the bar.

Connor Smith should have killed the game off but he fired over from close range having been set up by Emmanuel, who had been found by a long diagonal crossfield pass by Alfie Potter.

Anau fired a free-kick just wide with Julian well beaten, then Mills’ hooked shot was saved at the near post after good work by Jack Barham in the closing minutes.

Welling are at home to Leyton Orient in the London Senior Cup on Tuesday (7.45pm), then host Chippenham Town on Saturday.

Photos by Dave Budden

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *