Millwall clawing way up table – 11th after yet another Den success following 2-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday

By Richard Cawley

Millwall moved up to 11th in the Championship table as goals from Lee Gregory and Steve Morison extended their unbeaten run at The Den to 11 matches.

The Lions are also undefeated in seven league games and were too powerful and intense for the struggling Owls, who did take the lead through a wonderful strike by Joey Pelupessy in the first half.

Millwall failed to spark in that period, but ramped up the pressure once the action restarted and Wednesday buckled under it.

Gregory got his eighth goal of the campaign as he finished from close-range and Morison also had a straightforward tap-in following fine work by the tireless Jed Wallace.

The Owls’ goal was a moment of searing quality that was at odds with an underwhelming first stanza. Initial appeals for offside against Pelupessy were ignored – with replays understood to show that James Meredith played on the Wednesday man – and he speared a brutal finish past Jordan Archer.

The Lions were ineffectual in terms of hitting the target themselves with Joe Wildsmith underworked.

Millwall’s George Saville and Ben Marshall and Sheffield Wednesday’s Joey Pelupessy (centre) battle for the ball

Steve Morison dinked one pass over the top for Gregory to chase but he broke into the box in a slightly wider angle on the right and was unable to keep his strike down.

Morison appealed for a push by Morgan Fox in the box as he looked to get his head on Jed Wallace’s delivery from the left.

The Lions saw a big appeal for handball by David Jones fall on deaf ears early in the second half – Jed Wallace’s cross clearly striking his left arm in the penalty area.

But that controversy was forgotten as they did make it 1-1 on 52 minutes. Ben Marshall’s free-kick found Jake Cooper at the back post and his header back across was guided into the roof of the net from close-range by Gregory.

Wildsmith dealt unconvincingly with a shot from the Lions goalscorer shortly afterwards, doing just enough to only concede a corner.

Wednesday always looked likely to crack again under the unrelenting pressure and did so in the 63rd minute. Wallace won possession down the right and his low cross was a routine finish for Morison.

Jordan Thorniley was down for a long time following the goal and was eventually stretchered off.

Marshall fed Gregory but the number nine sliced into the Cold Blow Lane End.

Jack Stobbs’ first-time volley from George Boyd’s cross was not far away before 13 minutes were added on for Thorniley’s injury. Substitute Lucas Joao nodded a corner just wide.