Hook, line and vets’ hospital


A dog had a narrow escape after sniffing out a tasty treat while out on a walk and getting a fish hook embedded in her jaw.

Schnauzer Lola, 11, was taken to the Blue Cross animal hospital in Merton, last week by her concerned owner Pat Donaldson after she swallowed a fish hook and fishing line while out on a walk in Ravensbury Park.

A fisherman had left a rod with the bait still on the hook while he fished in another spot. Lola sniffed out the bait and swallowed it with the hook still attached.

X-ray of Lola and the hook in her mouth

X-rays showed the large metal hook embedded into Lola’s lower palate with the line still attached to it.

Vets said Lola was lucky not to have swallowed the hook as it could have caused irreparable damage to her throat and stomach.

Owner Mr Donaldson, 54, from Morden, said: “You could see the line hanging out of her mouth. I thought she had swallowed the line and the hook.

Lola at the vet hospital

“I called the Blue Cross and rushed her to the hospital in Merton but thankfully X-rays showed the hook was still in her mouth and not in her stomach.

“She was so lucky to have not swallowed it as it could have caused awful damage.”

Blue Cross has warned dog owners to be vigilant when out on walks but also called on fishermen to ensure they keep fishing tackle and bait nearby and also to dispose of it properly afterwards to prevent such incidents.

Laura Vico, Blue Cross senior vet, said: “Lola was sedated and thanks to the X-rays we were able to locate the hook and remove it.

Lola with hook in her mouth

“She was very lucky not to have swallowed the hook as it could have caused irreparable damage to her oesophagus and could have proved fatal.

“Dog walkers should be vigilant when out on walks while fishermen should think to dispose of
their fishing tackle in a responsible manner as it can be dangerous to not only dogs out walking but other wildlife too.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *