BY RICHARD CAWLEY
Darryll Williams is expected to get a rematch with Zach Parker after a hugely controversial defeat in Glasgow on Saturday.
The Forest Hill super-middleweight looked to have done enough to win the vacant British title on points.
But instead Williams lost on a split decision. Ian John Lewis scored it 115-113 in the South Londoner’s favour but Steve Gray had it 115-114 with Victor Loughlin’s 117-112 largely derided on social media.
Former Crystal Palace and Charlton striker Leon McKenzie, who boxed professionally after retiring from football, tweeted: “The official that scored it 112-117 Parker needs to be sacked. Embarrassing.”
Williams, 28, suffered the first reverse of his career.
Parker (17-0) injured his right hand early in the contest – putting him at a major disadvantage.
Asked about Loughlin’s scorecard, Williams said: “What the hell is that? How did I lose five rounds in that fight? I feel that was my scorecard which had been switched over.
“Unless I’m completely s**** then it is impossible to get that sort of score when I’ve got two hands and they can only use one. I’m not saying the fight was entirely my way and that he did **** all. But the guy didn’t beat me.
“It’s just a shame these things can even be allowed to happen. Someone can put a scorecard down like that and it can be looked at and overthrown. There is nothing you can do.
“Peoples’ lives are being played with. I hardly get opportunities since I’ve been professional. When I have got them I have won them, whether that is lucky or whatever you want to call it.
“This time around I should be at home with my family celebrating. I shouldn’t be depressed and contemplating retirement again.
“I’m not saying it is Parker’s fault. I’ve not got a problem with him at all. He didn’t tell the judges to give him those scores. But it has just devastated me.
“My emotions are all over the place. I’ve gone from crying at times to being happy that everyone is saying I won. There are people saying that I’ve become like the peoples’ champion.”
Williams says Parker’s camp indicated off camera they would give him a rematch. And the British Boxing Board of Control have been approached about making sure the bout happens again.
Williams has spoken before about disillusionment with the sport. He had boxed just once since beating Jahmaine Smyle to defend his English strap in July 2017.
“Initially I thought: ‘I’m out of this s***’,” he said. “I didn’t want to deal with this crap anymore. But now I don’t think I’ll be stopping any time soon.
“I want to have another fight before I rematch him anyway. I want to have another 10-rounder, just to stay active now. My biggest problem is that I’m very inactive.
“I’m not scared or nervous but when you get on the big scene like that – a 12-round fight – it’s very difficult to get in there and actually do the things you have been taught.
“I found that in this fight. It got to the point where I was thinking: ‘I didn’t do this in sparring when it was the same situation – I performed better than that’. That is the problem with being inactive, you can make mistakes and the atmosphere does get to you.
“This is a major factor I want my manager and promoter to try and work on with me now. Let me ******* fight. I don’t know what the problem is or what I have done to someone – why they won’t let me get in the mix
“I’m hoping now this has happened and people have seen I’ve got ability that people realise this is a level I can fight at. Let me have the opportunity to do something now.
“No matter what people say I still lost this fight on paper and I’m not champion.
“I got five weeks notice. It all seems a major tactic by his promoter. Even at the venue I had literally just got my hands wrapped and a guy came in and said: ‘You’re on now – there is no floater [a bout put on between main fights].
“I had a representative from Frank Warren’s office [his promoter] and he told them I would not be coming out yet, it was a British title fight and they had to give me at least 20 minutes to warm up.”