Croydon 22-year-old imprisoned for life for murder of Peckham teenager after club row

A Croydon man who stabbed a teenager to death outside a nightclub in Peckham has been jailed for his murder.

Dickson Tangu, 22, of Wilkinson Gardens, was sentenced to life imprisonment, to serve a minimum of 23 years, at Inner London Crown court today, Friday, 9 February.

Tangu was found guilty of murder and possession of a knife at the same court on Tuesday, 6 February.

Police were called at around 2am on August 8 last year, to reports of a disturbance in the area of Ilderton Road and Old Kent Road.

Officers and paramedics found 19-year-old Daniel Namanga suffering from a stab injury. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 2.05am.

A post-mortem examination later that day gave cause of death as single stab wound to the chest.

Daniel had been with friends at a club night at the Afrikiko Bar and as the event finished, he became involved in an altercation outside. This quickly escalated and Daniel was chased before being stabbed. He collapsed a few metres away. Tangu fled the scene.

Tangu was arrested at his home on the morning of August 11 and refused to answer any questions.

In a statement following Tangu’s sentencing, Daniel’s family said: “Thank God our prayers have been answered and justice has been served.”

Detective Sergeant Rob Tickle, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Dickson Tangu chose to carry a knife that night and did so with the full intention of using it. He struck a singular, forcible and violent blow to Daniel’s chest. He never recovered from the injuries he suffered and sadly, despite the best efforts of the emergency services, he died at the scene.

“Tangu is a dangerous individual, embroiled in a culture of violence in which he has shown a complete disregard for human life, including whilst at court. The jury took just two hours to reach its verdict.

“I would like to pay tribute to the strength of Daniel’s family, in particular his mother, Sally, who has shown immense courage, dignity and strength throughout. The family particularly want to thank the emergency services personnel who fought hard to save Daniel’s life, the criminal justice system and the investigation team whose commitment, hard work and determination ensured that Tangu was convicted.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *