Charlton Athletic start contract talks with two players

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

Charlton Athletic have kicked off contract talks with Karlan Grant and Lewis Page, writes Richard Cawley.

We exclusively revealed last week that Addicks boss Lee Bowyer has prioritised five players who are key to get signed up – the others being Dillon Phillips, Joe Aribo and Tariqe Fosu.

The quintet all see their terms run out in the summer although all bar keeper Phillips are under the age of 24 and would involved compensation if they move on.

Striker Grant, 21, got both goals in Saturday’s 2-1 win over Plymouth Argyle as Charlton moved sixth in the League One table.

Left-back Page has played every minute in the league despite being troubled by a groin problem.

“We are speaking to Pagey and his agent today [Monday],” said Bowyer. “We spoke to Karlan last week.

“We’re just letting them all know we’re going to be offering a new contract and I’m telling them what I think of them and where they are in their careers. 

“It’s just going down those lines. It’s up to those lads if they sign it or not.”

Patrick Bauer is also inside his final year and the German centre-back – the subject of at least one bid from Blackburn Rovers in the summer – has posted on social media that he will not be re-signing.

“He’s made it clear what his situation is,” said Bowyer. “But things change all the time in football.

“If we get promotion then I don’t see why he would not want to come and play for us. But again that is something that might happen down the line.

“The most important thing is getting Pat back playing and playing well, like he was [before being ruled out with a knee injury].

“If he chooses not to sign for us, that’s his choice. But he needs to have a good season for himself, for his own career. He has to play well for us or people won’t be interested – it’s that simple.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

South London News