Charlton Athletic 1-2 Coventry City: Late turnaround seals win for Sky Blues

Charlton suffered a second defeat in five days thanks to a late turnaround from Coventry at The Valley.

Lyle Taylor’s penalty had the home side ahead at the interval, but a brace from substitute Amadou Bakayoko – with the winner coming in added-time – meant it was the visitors who return to the Midlands with all three points.

Lee Bowyer’s side nearly fell behind to a goal from an early corner for the second game running. Whereas Charlie Goode was successful for Scunthorpe in midweek, Luke Thomas dragged a volley wide as the set-piece fell into his path.

The Addicks didn’t have any problem creating chances at Glanford Park on Tuesday and it looked like they were set to continue where they left of as Joe Aribo’s low-cross was touched goal-wards by Karlan Grant. Lee Burge saved well at his near-post, with Tariqe Fosu’s rebound then hacked away from on-the-line.

That opening didn’t set the tone for early stages though, and it was the organised Sky Blues who had the better of the chances in what remained of the opening half-hour.

Conor Chaplin, who had already fired over after cutting in from the right moments before, found the ball at his feet after Liam Kelly had driven a shot at goal. The City striker turned on the spot but snatched at his opportunity, hacking wide with only Jed Steer between him and the goal.

Charlton Athletic’s Lyle Taylor (second left) celebrates scoring his side’s first goal of the game

Chris Solly was forced to play on the left-side of the back-four due to Lewis Page’s absence and it was his cross that found Taylor unmarked just before the half-hour mark. The pink-haired striker didn’t get the cleanest of contacts on it and away keeper Burge just about held onto it on the goal-line.

The Addicks did edge ahead just before the break. Fosu had already sent a curling effort just past the far-post from the left-hand side, but soon after Taylor wriggled into the area in added time, only to be felled by City full-back Junior Brown.

It was the third spot-kick the South Londoners had been awarded in their last four games and Taylor, who missed from twelve yards last time out at The Valley, planted the ball into the bottom corner to ensure his side returned to the dressing room in-front.

A lack of any sense of urgency coloured the opening exchanges of the second-half. Taylor’s dangerous ball in was cleared before Grant could latch onto it but it took until beyond the hour mark for Coventry to create an opening.

Substitute Amadou Bakayoko’s drive was deflected behind by Naby Sarr, with the hosts dealing with the resulting corner.

Ben Reeves soon sent a half-volley whistling a couple of yards over the crossbar as Charlton went in search of daylight.

They were unable to find in and were made to pay with nine minutes remaining as Bakayoko swept Thomas’ centre home from close-range.

Bowyer threw Jamie Ward into proceedings with six minutes left to play. Taylor managed to get a shot away on the turn under pressure from the edge of the area but it squirmed slowly towards Burge who held comfortably.

Coventry City’s Amadou Bakayoko (bottom) celebrates scoring his side’s first goal of the game

Midfielder Cullen had the chance to edge the Addicks late on as he rose to meet Sarr’s deep ball in, but his header dropped just wide of the far-post.

It would be the visitors who won it late on. Bakayoko nipped in to head home in the first minute of added-time and sentence the South Londoners to their first home defeat since August.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *