Charlton Athletic 1-1 Sunderland: Addicks settle for point in an entertaining clash at the top end of League One

Charlton and Sunderland played out an entertaining 1-1 draw at The Valley as the hosts came from behind to take a point.

Full-back Luke O’Nien volleyed the visitors into the lead with just two minutes on the clock, but an own-goal from Reece James shortly after the break extended Charlton’s unbeaten run at home to eight league games.

The Addicks were much the better side after the interval and will feel hard-done to have not found a winner in the second-period.

Charlton Athletic’s Tariqe Fosu (left) and Sunderland’s Dylan McGeouch (right) battle for the ball

The Black Cats had scored in each of their 24 league games so far this season and that impressive record was extended inside two minutes. Lyndon Gooch and James linked-up well down the left-hand-side, with the latter floating a cross over towards the far-post for O’Nien to slam a volley home and edge Jack Ross’ side ahead.

Aiden McGeady danced past Anfernee Dijksteel before lifting over from the edge of the area as the visitors dominated the opening stages, with Lee Bowyer’s side struggling to cope with their well-drilled visitors.

The Addicks did have half-hearted appeals for a penalty as youngster Albie Morgan’s drive appeared to hit Tom Flanagan’s arm but were lucky to not fall further behind soon after.

Gooch’s angled shot beat Dillon Phillips all-ends-up but smacked against the crossbar, with Charlie Wyke unable to adjust quickly enough to head the rebound at the open goal.

Charlton Athletic’s Anfernee Dijksteel (left) and Sunderland’s Aiden McGeady (right) battle for the ball

Wyke fluffed his lines again moments later as he shanked a one-on-one wide, before then seeing a third chance go amiss as Patrick Bauer recovered superbly to charge him effort as he wound up for another go inside the area.

The hosts did seem to grow in confidence towards the end of the first-period and Krystian Bielik came close with a half-volley that sailed just wide of Jon McLaughlin’s upright but they went back into the dressing room behind at the interval – for the first time at home in the league this season.

They weren’t behind for much longer after the restart. Lyle Taylor weaved space on the right before firing in a low-cross that was inadvertently deflected into his own net by James.

An own-goal is scored by Sunderland’s Reece James (third right) after a cross from Charlton Athletic’s Lyle Taylor (centre) for their first goal

Charlton’s tails were up and they came close to adding a second as Darren Pratley peeled away at the far-post from a free-kick, but his unmarked header dropped agonisingly wide.

Bowyer brought new recruit Jonny Williams on for his debut with twenty minutes left and his side again came close to finding a lead for the first time in the game.

Taylor eased his way into the area but McLoughlin stuck out a leg to block his drive from close range.

Dijksteel then saw a cross loop off a defender to the far-post where Karlan Grant was unable to bundle home, touching wide. A similar chance presented itself to Grant again moments later, but this time the goalkeeper was on-hand to smother his effort at the near-post.

Grant nearly won it in the four added minutes after Williams slipped him through, but his shot was blocked by a desperate late challenge.

Sunderland themselves had a chance to win it right at the end, with Duncan Watmore lifting over unmarked from just eight yards out, as both sides had to settle for a point.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *