AFC Wimbledon 2 Scunthorpe 3 – Dons wait for a home win continues as Iron inspired by Morris


AFC Wimbledon’s run of failing to win at home in League One continued thanks to a Josh Morris-inspired Scunthorpe – who won 3-2 at the Cherry Red Records stadium.

Wimbledon were furious with an early free-kick awarded against Tom Soares when it appeared Scunthorpe striker Ike Ugbo had merely tripped himself up. It would subsequently prove costly as Morris’ setpiece caught Tom King off guard and dipped under the crossbar and into the net.

The Dons were denied a penalty when Andy Barcham’s cross appeared to strike the hand of a Scunthorpe defender.

Neal Ardley’s side continued to become frustrated with some baffling decisions from referee Charles Breakspear.

A nasty injury to the visitors’ left-back Cameron Borthwick-Jackson threatened the tempo of an already flat game. The on-loan Manchester United man was receiving treatment for what appeared to be a head injury from both physios for at least eight minutes.

And it seemed Wimbledon had lost their concentration during the long break as they trailed by two slightly prior to Borthwick-Jackson’s withdrawal. A routine move saw Morris put through on goal and he clinically slotted into the corner of King’s goal.

The hosts barely created anything of note in the first half and on the rare occasion which they did, it was a similar story to the rest of the season – they continued to spurn their chances. Rod McDonald fired over the John Green Stand from six yards, it epitomised their form in front of goal.

However, they were much improved in the second half – playing a pace far quicker than the lethargic approach in the first half.

And it was rewarded when Liam Trotter nodded home Joe Pigott’s cross just two minutes into the second period.

Suddenly Wimbledon seemed to have momentum. Scott Wagstaff drove forward and had an effort blocked, before Kwesi Appiah slashed wide.

Scunthorpe would restore their two-goal lead just moments later. A wonderful piece of skill from Ryan Colclough beat Ben Purrington down the visitors’ right and he crossed for Ike Ugbo to tap home from inside six yards.

Purrington would soon make up for it to set up the third goal of just 10 second-half minutes. He tricked his way around two players and crossed for Appiah to glance a header into Jak Alnwick’s top corner.

Ardley introduced Mitch Pinnock and Jake Jervis from the bench to add fresh impetus and the Dons threw everything they had at the Iron. Cameron Burgess’ excellent tackle denied Appiah a second goal.

Alnwick was forced into a stunning save to deny his own team-mate from inadvertently equalising and Deji Oshilaja’s rebound was cleared off the line as Ardley’s side continued to seek an equaliser.

But for all they tried, the equaliser failed to arrive. King had to make an outstanding stop to deny a fourth as Stephen Humphrys ran through on goal, before Goode had a header disallowed.

The Dons are still without a home league victory since April 10.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *