AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Charlton Athletic: Addicks bag late winner to sink struggling Dons

Igor Vetokele struck an injury-time winner as Charlton came from behind to win at fellow South Londoners AFC Wimbledon.

Michael Folivi had edged the struggling Wombles ahead midway through the first-period.

Naby Sarr’s glorious free-kick hauled the Addicks level soon after the interval before Vetokele’s first league goal for the club in over three years earned Charlton a first victory in five league outings.

The result sees the Addicks consolidate their top-six place as they open up a seven-point gap on seventh-placed Peterborough. Wimbledon remain rooted to the foot of the League One table, seven points from safety.

AFC Wimbledon’s Michael Folivi (right) celebrates scoring their first goal

The rock-bottom Dons flew out of the traps and it was two of their numerous former Charlton men who combined to create the first opening.

Joe Pigott slipped the ball into Scott Wagstaff in the Addicks area, with the bearded winger drawing a save out of Dillon Phillips from a tight angle.

The visitors then had strong appeals for a penalty waved away as Anthony Hartigan appeared to handle inside the area, before Lyle Taylor volleyed the loose ball narrowly over in what was a breathless opening to the contest.

In what became a reoccurring bad habit for Lee Bowyer’s side in the opening period, Josh Cullen was dispossessed within his own half by Pigott, who drove wide from range.

Charlton were enjoying spells on the ball but struggling to turn that into opportunities. Mark Marshall looked to redress the balance as he drove at the edge of the area but lifted his shot over.

Folivi had already fired a warning shot as he poked a corner wide at the far-post and he plundered the Dons ahead midway through the first-half.

A quickly taken free-quick caught the Addicks napping, with another former Charlton man in Terell Thomas squaring for Watford loanee Folivi to bundled home his first goal in Wimbledon colours.

Patrick Bauer’s last-ditch clearance stopped Wally Downes’ side going further ahead as Wagstaff looked certain to profit from goal-scorer Folivi’s centre, before the Addicks wasted their best chance of the first-half.

Lapslie was crowded out after being sent through on goal but the loose ball fell to Lyle Taylor, who was unable to convert into an open net.

The second-half began in controversial fashion as Bowyer was sent from his dugout within two minutes.

Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer and players take a pre match walk on the pitch

He had to sit rows in-front of the press area at Kingsmeadow for the rest of the game, a seat that afforded a perfect view of his side’s leveller ten minutes after the interval.

Taylor was felled 25 yards from goal, with central-defender stepping up to curl an irresistible set-piece into the top corner to haul his side level.

The Addicks’ tails were up. Jonny Williams was denied from a tight angle as they had their hosts pinned into their own half.

Charlton Athletic’s Lyle Taylor has an early shot at goal

Piggot saw a shot blocked on a rare foray forward for the home side and looked like they were going to hold onto a point as former Don Taylor scooped a header over from six yards out in the closing stages.

But Vetokele’s late intervention, somehow scrambling over the line after a melee from a corner, secured the victory for the Addicks in added-on time – their first ever victory at Kingsmeadow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *