Sunday, April 30, 2017
Dons have transfer plans if bids come in for prize assets

Dons have transfer plans if bids come in for prize assets

0
358
Tom Elliott AFC Wimbledon v Southend, SkyBet League 1 , The Cherry Red Records Stadium, 25 March 2017. Image by Keith Gillard

AFC Wimbledon chief executive Erik Samuelson has admitted that the club have contingency plans if they receive bids for any of their players.

The Dons have achieved their target of League One survival with plenty to spare.

But the fact Wimbledon have acquitted themselves so well after winning promotion via the play-offs just under 12 months ago increases the chances of offers for the likes of Jake Reeves or Lyle Taylor.

Big targetman Tom Elliott is out of contract this summer.

Samuelson said: “Tom has had a very good season and we’re in talks. The last time I spoke to Neal [Ardley] they were good talks with him.

“We’re not expecting bids for our players – but we also wouldn’t be surprised. I have a conversation with Neal that if someone came in for Joe Bloggs then who have you got in your sights? Of course we have those chats.

“I remember speaking to Robbie Earle when he was at Wimbledon Football Club and he was telling me they had three players for every position. We’re not quite as advanced as that, but the thinking is still very similar. We’ve discussed the players who are most susceptible.

“The planning for next season probably started back in December.”

Wimbledon never announce the length of deals that their players sign.

Samuelson said: “Why make it easy for other clubs to come and take our players? “It is also private to the individual. Why make it public what they earn and how long they earn it for? If a player wants to come out and say it then that is down to them. We would never do so.”

Sports Editor | South London Press sports editor since 2007 who has covered huge sporting events for the paper – Crystal Palace’s Championship play-off final, two trips to Wembley in the FA Cup and David Haye’s world heavyweight unification fight with Wladimir Klitschko. Previously sub-edited on the Sunday Mirror, Daily Star and Sport First. Former ClubCall deputy editor.

LEAVE A REPLY

Dons have transfer plans if bids come in for prize assets