Twenty-one new sites have been added to Southwark council’s list of locations to provide hundreds of new council houses across the borough.
The sites are the next step towards meeting the council’s ambitious target of building 11,000 council homes by 2043, including 2,500 by 2022.
The first affordable housing scheme delivered with Leathermarket, at Marklake Court, has been recognised in a number of awards, including winner of the New London Architecture award for best new housing and the RICS award for new residential property.
Recognition also came from the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, pictured above, who applauded the partnership model of providing genuinely affordable, community-led housing in central London.
Councillor Leo Pollak, cabinet member for new homes, great estates and social regeneration, said: “I’m really pleased that we are able to announce these new sites into our new council homes programme. In the midst of a housing crisis it is more important than ever to be stepping forward to deliver genuinely affordable, secure, high-quality homes for our residents.
“The homes built on these sites will be prioritised for local people, and each project will be developed together with local residents as part of a wider estate improvement plan to ensure we achieve an improvement in everyone’s living environment, not just those who move into the new homes.
“I’m grateful to the local residents, TRAs and councillors we’ve spoken with to get to this stage, and am delighted too to be continuing our brilliant community partnership with Leathermarket CBS to help deliver a number of these council homes projects in Bermondsey and Borough.”
The new sites are:
- Woodland Road Estate (Dulwich Wood)
- Site adjacent to 55-77 Fenwick Road (Rye Lane)
- Priory Court x2 – garage site, Reynolds Road, plus Cheltenham Road/Stuart Road (Peckham Rye)
- Former Peckham library site, in partnership with Pecan (Peckham)
- Kingston Estate garage site (North Walworth)
- Leroy Street garages, Creasy Estate (South Bermondsey)
- Pynfolds Estate parking court (North Bermondsey)
- 1 Ann Moss Way, former NHS building (Rotherhithe)
- Alexis Street, Charles Mackenzie Estate garage site (South Bermondsey)
- Linsey Street, Eveline Lowe Estate garage site and parking area (South Bermondsey)
- Fort Road/Balaclava Road, Longfield Estate (South Bermondsey)
- Vauban Estate – Car park site (South Bermondsey)
- and in partnership with Leathermarket CBS:
- Elim estate x3 (ballcourt, garages, triangle site) (Chaucer)
- Decima Street (Chaucer)
- Lawson estate (Chaucer)
- Falmouth Road rooftop (Chaucer)
- Whites Grounds estate (London Bridge and West Bermondsey)
- JMB Office site (London Bridge and West Bermondsey)