Three teenagers have been convicted of manslaughter following the fatal stabbing of student in New Cross.
Two 16-year-olds and Fauz Richards, 19 of Belvoir Close, SE9, were convicted at the Old Bailey today December 7, of the manslaughter of Myron Yarde in April this year.
Myron, 17, died after he was stabbed in the leg when he was cornered in Camplin Street at 19:40hrs on April 3, the court was told. Two other women – Jamie Kennedy, 31, of Daubeney Tower, SE8 and Charlotte Edmonds, 32, of Daubeney Tower, SE8 – were convicted of perverting the course of justice after conspiring with ‘F’ to remove, hide or dispose of a knife used to stab Myron. ‘F’ was also convicted of perverting the course of justice.
Myron and friends had been involved in a dispute over his stolen bike earlier that day and the attack was a culmination of hostilities between the two groups, police said. The fight began between the two groups after they confronted each other that evening on Camplin Street.
Myron was surrounded and stabbed five times with two knives, police said.. Four wounds were in Myron’s left thigh area and the fifth wound entered his right thigh, passing into his femoral artery and vein, causing massive internal bleeding, police said.
He staggered a few yards down the road and collapsed. Despite the early assistance of members of the public, police, London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance, Myron was pronounced dead at Kings College Hospital.
‘C’ was arrested in 7 April after he was identified by a witness. He was subsequently charged. ‘F’ and Richards were arrested after handing themselves in at Lewisham Police Station in April.
Similarly ‘C’, ‘F’ and Richards’ names were provided by crucial witnesses who saw the incident and reported that a knife used was in Richards’ garden. This knife was found by police and DNA linked this knife to the manslaughter.
Edmonds and Kennedy were witnessed asking for help in disposing of a separate knife used in the attack. They was arrested on 14 April; subsequently charged and convicted. All will be sentenced at the same court on 13 January 2017.
Detective Chief Inspector Rebecca Reeves, who led the investigation, said: “A young man’s life has been lost, leaving his family absolutely distraught. Those responsible, also teenagers, now face significant prison sentences.
“All of this stemmed simply from an argument after Myron’s bike was taken by a group of boys from another area.
“Without the presence of knives at this incident, this attack and its terrible consequences for family, friends, brave witnesses who gave evidence, and the whole community, could have been avoided.”